Friday, July 27, 2012

These Colors Were Not Allowed To Run

Guor Marial, who we have all seen running in the global Visa television commercials narrated by Morgan Freeman promoting the Olympics, had been told by the International Olympic Committee that he was barred from representing his country of Southern Sudan and that he must run under the flag of the nation of his oppressors. I could not believe my eyes as I read this in the news. I thought, Who in what alternate universe demands that of someone?

I asked King today what he thought. He said, "This is shocking news for me as a King when I heard that my countryman and fellow Lost Boy Guor Marial is now known to the world as an athlete without a country. The world knows that Southern Sudan became an independent country in its own right on July 9, 2011, the newest country, 193rd in the world I believe. For me as King, I disagree with the decision of the IOC who disgraces my brother Guor Marial as runner now without a country. He is from Southern Sudan and he must carry his country flag.

I have seen first-hand the pride King and his People have as they state proudly that they carry an I.D. card proclaiming they are from Southern Sudan. In fact, I have it on film. I can't imagine the devastation Guor must feel today as the Olympics commence. He escaped genocide and ran for his life for safety in the hope of one day returning to a country at peace. He prepared his entire life to be an Olympian but more importantly he prepared to represent his country.

The levels of "losthood" are ever-present in their daily lives, like a wave that knocks you down over and over trying to force you under. But to paraphrase Maya Angelou, Slowly they rise. I marvel each day as King has a singleminded belief that one day Southern Sudan will be at peace. He has complete trust and faith in God in his every waking moment and a postive disposition that is infectious. Each day my King calls me to impart words of wisdom and hope. He bolsters my spirit and can hear when I am questioning the universe.
But in the end, he was pragmatic. King continued to say, "Today Guor had no choice. There was no way he could represent those that ran him out of his homeland but we will keep the faith that the world will do better tomorrow. For Guar runs as a free man with his brothers and sisters in his heart. And for the land in our hearts, these colors were not allowed to run."

South Sudan not eligible to compete in the London Olympic Games under IOC rules. (AFP) http://t.co/41leeXyJ














No comments:

Post a Comment